SELF-e @ Curtis
Curtis Library has made the SELF-e submission platform freely available to the local writing community.
How does it work?
– Submit your e-book file electronically to the SELF-e platform here. It only takes about ten minutes. If you need help doing this, talk to a Curtis librarian.
– Your book will be sent electronically to Library Journal, a nationally known and highly respected trade journal publication for librarians.
– Library Journal will evaluate your submission and, if it is chosen, include your book in one of the national SELF-e Select genre-based collections. Inclusion in one of the national collections will essentially put the Library Journal “stamp of approval” on your book and make it available for a wide audience of readers nationally and locally.
– You will find out about a month after submission if your book will be included on the SELF-e site.
– At the same time that you submit your e-book to SELF-e, you can also opt into a non-exclusive license to make your book available to participating public libraries and library patrons in the state of Maine.
– The books of authors who have opted into making their e-book available to participating libraries in Maine will be available on the Maine Indie Author site, even if their e-book is not chosen for the SELF-e site.
– Readers will be able to access both the SELF-e site and the Maine Indie Authors site via the Curtis Library website.
– Distribution via SELF-e is royalty-free but reader-heavy! The focus of the site is to help authors build an audience of readers by exposing their e-books to local library patrons through the Maine Indie Author site.
– Participating also opens the possibility that your book will be included as the best of the best on the Library Journal SELF-e site, thereby greatly increasing the potential for a national readership for your book.
The number one challenge any author has is building an audience. Once they have an audience, they have an opportunity to grow their work professionally. Librarians can be a powerful marketing force for emerging authors, especially if they can promote the books without fear of success. The SELF-e approach to curation combined with simultaneous user-access will encourage books to be discovered and even go viral.
— Hugh Howey, best-selling self-published author, over 2 million books sold
We hope you will check out SELF-e today and participate in the Maine Indie Authors site at the same time! Expand your readership, broaden your fandom and encourage your books to be discovered!
How Do I Get Started?