Get a library card
To apply for a card:
- Come to the Lending Services Desk (desk by front doors).
- Bring ID confirming your current address and, if applicable, your eligibility for a free card.
- Fill out the library card registration form. Children ages 17 and under require a parent or guardian signature on the registration form, along with confirmation of address.
You are eligible for a FREE library card if you are…
- a full time permanent resident of Brunswick or Harpswell, or if you pay property taxes in Brunswick or Harpswell;
- military or civilian personnel attached to the Brunswick Naval Air Station, retired military or a military dependent;
- a teacher, staff member, or student in Brunswick or Harpswell public schools;
- an employee of Brunswick or Harpswell town government (including Brunswick Sewer District);
- an employee of Parkview Adventist Medical Center, Mid Coast Hospital, Independence Association, Downeast Energy, or The Times Record;
- an owner of a Brunswick or Harpswell business;
- a Success by Six volunteer or Tri-County Literacy Volunteer;
- a faculty member, staff member, or student at Bowdoin College, Spurwink School, or Southern New Hampshire University.
Special arrangements for free borrowing have also been made with the Maine State Music Theater, Bowdoin International Music Festival, and Merrymeeting Adult Education faculty.
If you are not eligible for a free card*, we invite you to purchase a Non-Resident Card. Currently, the fee for a Non-resident Card is $65.00 for one year, $40 for six months, or $25 for 3 months. The Non-resident Card may be used by all members of your household.
Summer Visitor cards
Summer Visitor cards are available for seasonal residents who are not tax-payers of Brunswick and Harpswell. Seasonal cards are $25 and good for 3 months. Please be prepared to show identification with your permanent address and confirmation of your summer address.
Note: The public is welcome to use the library facilities during regular hours with or without a card. Borrowing privileges, however, require membership.
* Eligibility for free cards is determined by the library’s funding sources. Most funds come from the Towns of Brunswick and Harpswell and from the generous support of financial donors and library partners. The library receives no funding from the state, county, or town governments outside of Brunswick and Harpswell.