Get a library card
To apply for a library card:
- Come to the Lending Services Desk (desk by front doors).
- Bring ID confirming your current street address (P.O. Box not sufficient) and, if applicable, your eligibility for a free card.
- Fill out the library card registration form. Children ages 17 and under require a parent or guardian signature on the registration form, along with confirmation of street address.
Sign up for a Library Card From Outside the Library
* To sign up for a library card from outside the library, you must be 18 years or older and a resident of Harpswell or Brunswick. Please go here.
You are eligible for a FREE library card if you are…
- a full time permanent resident of Brunswick or Harpswell, or if you pay property taxes in Brunswick or Harpswell;
- Retired or active military personnel
- a teacher, staff member, or student in Brunswick or Harpswell public schools;
- an employee of Brunswick or Harpswell town government (including Brunswick Sewer District);
- an employee of Parkview Adventist Medical Center, Mid Coast Hospital, Independence Association, Downeast Energy, or The Times Record;
- an owner of a Brunswick or Harpswell business;
- a Success by Six Volunteer Reader Program volunteer with a long-term, regularly scheduled placement with an organization (generally weekly or every other week for a period of 6 months or more)
- a faculty member, staff member, or student at Bowdoin College, Spurwink School, Southern Maine Community College or Southern New Hampshire University.
Special arrangements for free borrowing have also been made with the Maine State Music Theater, Bowdoin International Music Festival, and Merrymeeting Adult Education faculty.
If you are not eligible for a free card*, we invite you to purchase a Non-Resident Card. Currently, the fee for a Non-resident Card is $65.00 for one year, $40 for six months, or $25 for 3 months. The Non-resident Card may be used by all members of your household.
Please come to the Circulation Desk in the Library with an ID and confirmation of address to create a non-resident library account.
h4>Summer Visitor cards
Summer Visitor cards are available for seasonal residents who are not tax-payers of Brunswick and Harpswell. Seasonal cards are $25 and good for 3 months. Please be prepared to show identification with your permanent street address and confirmation of your summer street address.
Note: The public is welcome to use the library facilities during regular hours with or without a card. Borrowing privileges, however, require membership.
* Eligibility for free cards is determined by the library’s funding sources. Most funds come from the Towns of Brunswick and Harpswell and from the generous support of financial donors and library partners. The library receives no funding from the state, county, or town governments outside of Brunswick and Harpswell.