These methods include:
- Dumpster Diving – They rummage through trash looking for bills or other paper with your personal information on it.
- Skimming – They steal credit/debit card numbers by using a special storage device when processing your card.
- Phishing – They pretend to be financial institutions, companies or government agencies, and send email or pop-up messages to get you to reveal your personal information.
- Hacking – They hack into your email or other online accounts to access your personal information, or into a company’s database to access its records.
- "Old-Fashioned" Stealing – They steal wallets and purses; mail, including bank and credit card statements; pre-approved credit offers; and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records from their employers, or bribe employees who have access.